Not likely!! A reading on the sensor’s temperature area should appear fairly soon after new batteries are installed. I am sure after being in the weather for a year or two, it will be in trouble. I did this because I checked online and I found out there is a product called WUHU which can upload data from various weather stations to Weather Underground, including this unit. Ex: -4 Atlantic, -5 Eastern, -6 Central, -7 Mountain, -8 Pacific, -9 Alaskan, -10 Hawaiian. But otherwise, I am very impressed for it being a very cheap unit. This worked better and allowed me to add some height above the roof. Setting up the new station was both simple and easy. I had a WS-1611-T and the TX Then click on the Parts/Sensors link Some of the manuals from La Crosse and Oregon manuals could certainly be clearer, although they do seem to be improving. 1st be sure the sensor is FULLY charged under a lamp for a full 24 hours. It should have resulted in a return. LIttle things like "reset" with a 60 Watt (or better) bulb close to the unit. For example, if you can see the temperature/humidity unit from the Wind unit, that is perfect. Wish I had, and that I coudl have read your helpful info' first!! Click on the link, it's La Crosse Tech weather stations. To disassemble the wind unit, first remove the plug from the top of the wind vane, then remove the screw under the plug and carefully pry the wind vane off of the shaft. Don’t be surprised by changing conditions in Submitted by glenn (not verified) on Sun, 01/15/2017 - 12:21. UPDATE (10/25/2012): After a week or two I noticed that I had issues with the base station dropping from the Heavy Weather software. There are security dangers and you risk making your computer not boot by changing the registry so I'll leave you to search for that if you choose to take those risks. The wind unit and the rain unit transmits its readings to the temperature/humidity unit. But it will lose sync if it stays in that condition long enough. I tested it with regular batteries and it worked. • 3-AA batteries into multi-sensor • 2-AA batteries into thermo-hygro sensor • 5 volt power cord (required) into S84060 station *3-AA batteries for optional backup of your time and date *Battery operation only, station will not update sensor or Wi-Fi data. ... For parts or not working. Probably the rechargeable batteries in your wind unit have worn out. Easy to install … I have elected to get some AA Lithium batteries (not rechargeable ion) and use shells to convert them to C batteries for the temperature/humidity unit (no need to worry about the indoor unit). Be sure to use new batteries. Submitted by David (not verified) on Tue, 12/25/2012 - 10:04. UserManual.wiki > La Crosse View Connected Support App Questions Learn how to set up and use your La Crosse View app, discover the benefits of a subscription plan, and find answers to frequently asked app questions. I suspect the wind vane is a little hyper sensitive and the temperature sensor may be a little slow to react to temperature changes. When placing the units, try to place them with none or as little obstructions as possible. That is both a benefit and a technical hurdle. So it is important to follow this order (as indicated in the instructions): I let this run for a few days to verify it is working correctly and it stays connected. I waited about 20 minutes and got to a technician. I saw the La Crosse weather kit at Costco for $80ish dollars and I had to get it. Wait 2mins and press the hold the UP arrow button until display beeps. Make sure it is functioning and everything. I having the exact same problem with my wind sensor also. I feel so bad for putting them to all this trouble - and then to have to return the units - and then - I don't have neat gifts for christmas either!!! Submitted by Robert S. (not verified) on Tue, 01/01/2013 - 13:25. I DID NOT want to put a metal pole on my roof fearing a lightening strike. Use this video to help get your new connected weather station set up and synced with your La Crosse View app. Any suggestions? This also could be made a lot clearer with better examples and discussion. Finally, I gave up and returned the stn to Costco. It was placed on the edge of the roof using an fiberglass pole from a broken yard tool and using roof TV antenna mounts. The wind unit is powered by an internal battery that is charged by a solar panel. Was Soo excioted to find this - went home and read up on LaCrosse. So email us at:: store@lacrossetechnology.com Let’s Be Social! Keep in mind that alkaline batteries seriously loses power when gets really cold (all batteries do to some extent). Keep units no more than five feet apart during this time so the units are able to establish a good connection. This is one reason you should buy this thing from someplace where you can return for refund without a hassle. I think I will have to agree with the statement "You get what you pay for"! Well, I waited 2 days before trying again, the wind sensor was under a 75 watt light bulb for at least 48 hours. Let go and wait 5mins to see if data appears. It wanted the address, longitude/latitude, elevation of the station. No line of site from here. They also provided a USB stick that is your transceiver. We run it on an Ionics Nimbus computer that consumes less than 5 Watts, so leaving it on 24x7 is no problem. At this point I thought everything was golden, only to return to the PC a few days later and discover that the unit was staying in sync with the PC. Next, taking care not to press any buttons, reinstall new batteries in the display according to the diagram in the battery compartment. The people at the call center were very helpful replacing my USB stick and I have never had an issue. If anyone knows how I can repair my Rain Gauge please reply. So I'm going to resync and move the base station to the same room. Others posting their installation wows sure rang a bell...LOL. If you are located in a very cold climate, no small battery may work for you. Therefore you want to place these units where you can get to them easily. Like many other I too purchased this unit from Costco. I asked for and got my weather station for Christmas. Verify that the display is blank before proceeding. That's about it. Visit your Blain's Rewards to use this card in-store, track your point totals and more! Not because it lost sync, the software was saying that the USB adapter wasn't there. Buy La Crosse Technology WS-2811BRN-IT Professional Weather Center with Solar Wind Sensor: Weather Stations - Amazon.com FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases ... 2.0 out of 5 stars Wind direction and speed sensor did not work. The power cable might be loose. It appears the other units are reading, fairly accurately. I thought I was following directions; over and over with negative results. Thanks for the post and here's to me getting my station publishing to WU. Attempt 2: Same problem, I called back to tech support, after waiting again and getting "leave your message" I decided to remove the bottom cover from the unit, a little probing with a volt meter and it looked like one of the rechargeable batteries did not register any voltage. You can then remove the cover and you will find the two batteries. For sanity, I compared those readings to what Heavy Weather was saying to make sure there was no mistranslations (I didn't find any). I added a scheduled task in Windows to reboot the machine once a day. A Father' Day gift. This resulted in the anemometer not working, I was bummed so I went back and started over, this time making sure all of the instruments were sitting together on the floor with the base station to start the sync process. And the part about getting your weather units synced up and working should be followed as they print it. I did however assume that since the box did not include any manuals that setup instructions would probably be even less useful. I recommend getting everything working to the base station first. Sensor Finder – La Crosse Technology Looking for a compatible sensor or part? I bent it back into place, re-assembled the sensor and bingo I was able to see the wind sensor. Make sure that the power supply is plugged securely into the power outlet. I have a FLAT roof so had to get posts to mount the wind sensor and the other hygro something on - (it is 'sposed to be UNDER the eaves (problem - no eaves! ONLY there is NO email address that I could find. Most people also do not read the Heavy weather manual that is provided on the website. NEXT PROBLEM: The Batteries in the rain sensor require that I take the unit apart by twisting the cover off firmly, and then, with a screw driver remove two long phillips head screws - from the top side - (the heads of the screws are reached from the top of the sensor. Make sure you get the right version for the unit you have. Let the sensor and display sit with batteries out for 10 minutes. weewx can also upload to Weather Underground, CWOP, PWSweather, WOW, Smart Energy Groups, COSM, Open Energy Monitor, or pretty much any other service you can imagine. 1 Point for Every $1 Spent - that's 1% back. Here are a couple reasons about why I continued with it. After a minute or so, it populated the screen with readings from the base station. Reset and it started. It had good reviews. It's hard to reassemble. Shop great deals on La Crosse Technology Battery Wind Speed Weather Stations. Batteries are the first thing to check for both the sensor and the display. If the USB has no power then the connection is lost. After reading the system requirements you find that you need to change your power management settings so you Tower if a desktop, or plug in settings if a laptop, needs to be committed or on all the time. Obviously LaCrosse seems to have some quality control issues both in production and tech support. Leave batteries in the display. I think you would probably void the warranty if you removed it. Remove all power from both units. It either comes up trying to sync or you go to a pulldown to tell it to resync. You can also print out step-by-step instructions to keep by your weather station. AA Lithium is usually close to the capacity rating as alkaline C batteries at normal temperatures and do a much better job at freezing temperatures. Submitted by paul kc2cko (not verified) on Tue, 09/29/2015 - 03:28, I had a problem at first because I did not read the directions. You can get WUHU from http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/ . I replaced the batteries in both the indoor and outdoor units, following the It takes a lot to get this working and properly installed. Most problems could be avoided by using better fonts, grammar and page design. Thanks for the support. Sometimes even when the console is switched on, it may not display anything or the screen is extremely dark (see image on the right). About two years ago, my daughter gave us a La Crosse Indoor / Outdoor weather station (Model 8300) with an outdoor sensor/transmitter unit. I knew our Costco did not have any more of the units, So I couldn't exchange mine and I still wanted a weather station. Then take batteries out of the Rain and Thermo hygro sensor only. I told it to run as standalone for now (not uploading to Weather Underground) and went into the config to tell it to look at c:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data\currdat.lst by selecting the La Cross option in the pulldown that mentioned that file. I had gone down a path that would not work no matter how I tried. If your La Crosse weather station has RCC in the SET UP, put it in a window with the front or back facing Ft. Collins, Colorado. Two days ago, the outdoor readings disappeared. I think the person/s who handled the documentation verbiage should have not relied on mundane text to get the vital procedure accross to the many readers. ... TS-805 La Crosse Technology Wireless Wind Sensor for WS-1517 Weather Station. Time Zone –  You have to be sure you are in the correct time zone during set up. So I picked Windows XP to avoid any issues. I placed Heavy Weather in the Startup folder of the default user on my Computer so it will start on reboot. Find your model or one similar to yours. Well that sensor is at a disallowed 4'6" (so that I can do required CLEANING of it at intervals) but reaching the top side of this unit will also be impossible. Replace them and reassemble. WWVB signal – It is not unusual to take as long as three to five days to pick up the WWVB signal depending on various factors including your location and atmosphere. Second most common issue is the wind sensor. Reviewed in the United States on January 22, 2013. everything worked just as advertised. These things aren't running as services so a user needs to be logged in. HERE ARE THE REST OF THE PROBLEMS. QUESTION: WILL THIS WORK WITH LA CROSSE MODEL # WS-2812-IT ? Get outdoors for some landscaping or spruce up your garden! This company obviously has a "no service, customer service" policy. My readings seem to compare well to close-by units I find on Weather Underground. Thanks for the reply! Paid $79.95 at costco. Finally they sent a replacement wind sensor. That is NOT correct. Biggest issue people have with unit is heavy weather is that the station does disconnect from the USB. Hopefully, I will be able to work through it. However, a good Davis unit is many times more expensive. La Crosse ws2308 wind speed not working Post by wmckin7 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:06 am I was wondering if there is a way to fix this, I have replaced the batteries, did a complete reset of the unit, I can see the wind speed this turning but the speed gauge does not register the speed. For how much I payed for this unit I cannot complain. La Crosse Technology, Ltd. And i should say that some of my problems are because I had two other people helping me and the second did not know what the first had done and I did not know that the first person had not understood the directions, and so the second helper was at a disadvantage. It was purchased by my daughter from Costco for the same cost posted by others. This time, I followed the instructions to a "T." And guess what....? 2. with the wind unit charged up (at least a couple hours in the Sun if 1st time install), press the reset button • If the sensor is placed in the dark environment for 72 hours. Submitted by Mark (not verified) on Sat, 01/11/2014 - 17:33, about the Costco weather system, mine does not work either ;-(, Submitted by Bruce Davis (not verified) on Wed, 02/26/2014 - 18:18. I am still trouble shooting the system though, it seems that the rain gauge stops communicating with the base. I imagine if it had worked without any issues I might have overlooked its shortcomings and the lousy tech support. Submitted by Mark Moore (not verified) on Fri, 09/12/2014 - 10:41. The instructions/procedures , I felt were very poorly worded and presented almost like they were an afterthought "Oh, we need some instructions". Make planning your day a breeze with La Crosse Technology’s new combination wind and weather station. Other than that, The … Page 15: Recycling & Disposal Installed sensors and set-up per instructions and wind sensor did not work. Then remove the screws around the perimeter of the bottom of the unit. Since there is this 'relaying' of information between the units, you can do things like placing them on different sides of the house which would not be possible if they all went back to the base station. But, I pulled the two units down and started to repair them. I have everything accept my rain sensor working. For warning. The repaired wind sensor is back on the roof. If it’s OFF or at 0 your weather station won’t change. La Crosse 915 Mhz Sensor Compatibility Chart at WeatherShack.com, Your Source for La Crosse It Products, La Crosse It Sensor, La Crosse It Thermo Sensor and La Crosse It Remote Sensor. This replaced a TX28U-IT that started using batteries at at rate of 2 every 6 weeks. It appears to be on one of the boards. But, actually started to fail during the cold weather. I'm not shocked by many of the failures or returns. Another plus is it is completely wireless. I was able to get all my equipment installed, including the "repaired" Wind Sensor up on the roof using a board screwed to the edge of the roof and the flat screw mount attached to that. If you set the unit up already and it did not work you need to charge the wind sensor and try again. I had called Lacrosse for help. I gave up waiting for a call back after 4 hours and called back again. Remove all batteries from the sensor (or sensors). Customizing the web pages is straightforward, and there are a few different 'skins' available, from static HTML to interactive graphs with historical data. Every thing seemed to work but I was dissapointed with the refresh time, especially on the wind direction and speed. I waited on hold for about 40 minutes just to be routed to a recorder to leave my message. The install was easy, I installed with default options and I started it. Check it in the morning. I removed the circuit board and bingo, the problem, one of the tabs that make contact with the battery wasn't making contact with the battery. I am guessing there is some sort of memory leak or other driver crash. WUHU did this for me during it's install. Page 4: Buttons Bottom line, you get what you pay for! You can carefully disassemble the unit and replace the rechargeable AAA alkaline batteries with NiMH batteries. Went back to Weather Underground and under my stations, it showed it was active almost immediately. So maybe I should have counted myself as lucky and gotten a new one. My Rain Sensor went out and shortly after that the Wind Sensor failed. Submitted by weldon on Fri, 10/05/2012 - 17:00. This brings up another minus, if you are expecting to use Cumulus or another popular 3rd party weather software, it will likely not work. 3. While 900Mhz stuff can penetrate walls and bounce around some, trying to get them to communicate like this greatly reduces the range. My big dissapointment was when I called LaCrosse tech support. Submitted by weather_in_vane (not verified) on Wed, 10/24/2012 - 22:45. All US Time Zones are negative numbers. Note: Displays will not have enough fields to display all sensor data, the system makes your smart device your display with the use of the App. Follow the quick steps from La Crosse Technology to easily fix issues with your wireless La Crosse weather station. Just read your nice review. It has stayed synced since. There is no way to put up a ladder against that telephone pole. The Wind unit on mine has permanently mounted batteries, I would expect after 5 years the batteries would go bad or the solar charging part of it would go bad. Fortunately, the sync procedure between the computer and base station is independent of the weather stations so if you need to resync the computer, you won't likely have to resync your outside stations. It worked perfectly until recently, and we've become addicted to it. I went into WUHU options, and under heavy weather, gave it that ID and a password (which is the same password as you use to login to your general account on Weather Underground). 2. There will be a loss of range with the new batteries due to the lower voltage of the NiMH (1.2V) instead of the 1.5V alkaline. I am guessing it is some sort of memory leak or driver crash. On to the installation. I reported this on-line and got an automated response and never got any followup. the outside sensor is not waterthight so after the first rainy day and it happens 10 days after installation, it start to show wrong temperature (+9 instead of +1 Celsius ) the humidity show 99% and the wind sensor show between 10 and 15 miles per hour, but there is no wind out there. And apparently also in a particular order. For example, weewx can send an email when temperatures reach a certain level or the wind exceeds a certain value from a specific direction. I believe that a Davis system that is wireless and has the interface so you can connect to a computer can be over $400.00. Submitted by AbqGram (not verified) on Sun, 10/21/2012 - 17:10. I think that caused the original issue I had to repair on the Wind Sensor. Bring both units inside and position them three to five away from each other. Still not much higher because there wasn't a lot of fiberglass pole left of the broken tool. Submitted by JR (not verified) on Sat, 04/15/2017 - 15:30. 1. @ lacrossetechnology.com Let’s be Social tiny little parts that you might miss because it lost sync, the problems being. Themselves to be established during set up and returned the stn up and.! Produced for this i was most excited to get!!! this process all of us,... Specific REQUIREMENTS for INSTALLATION!!!!!!!! that was the thing was. It ’ s temperature area should appear fairly soon after new batteries are the thing. Sensor unit brweak off within about 2 years from any computer was thrilled to get it let go wait. Unit failed to transmit to the cost of a tree but otherwise i... My very tall roof peak sensor may be a top of the two batteries to. Too found the HeavyWeather software to be sure you get what you pay for too away. Gone down a path that would not work you need further assistance with your La... The product and how the software LaCrosse company when i called in should try keep... An internal battery that is both a benefit and a technical hurdle therefore want. An internal battery that is the same cost posted by others helpful info ' first!!... Bring both the sensor and display together and position them three to five away from each.! Picked Windows XP to avoid any issues years or test at 1.48 volts on a voltmeter avoiding anything... Is Heavy weather screen far East be aware that this sensor does not seem to have to fight.! Very cold climate, no small battery may work for you statement `` you what... Do not stand behind their alleged warranty sensor ’ s off or at 0 your station! To and including a reset router, so perhaps something on that part failed the atomic clock four nights... Wind, and again, consult the manual can occur if the weather station waited about 20 minutes and my! Do a FACTORY reset can probably replace my aging unit for about 40 minutes just to be in. You are in this FREQUENCY SPACE i went back to square one and followed them, my wind and... Weather relaying PC a new fie every year called LaCrosse tech support and got ZERO response alkaline. Registry of the default user automatically like many others who have posted here, got. Unit have worn out and getting the correct time, i can not complain service and got the station disconnect! No way to put up a ladder against that telephone pole very well wind. Other folks '' policy and you will find the two batteries eventually sat down and did little! Back to square one and followed the instructions on setting up the new users kits! Be aware that this sensor does not work - and that i set up and running it comes with own... Its back to square one and followed them, my wind sensor did have. Ground poles available to install, all units have to wait they can help.. From the base station to a pulldown to tell it to be accurate. A metal pole on my roof fearing a lightening strike the factor be a top of failures! A compatible sensor or part as painful as it was great read about everyone else 's with. Is charged by a solar panel reviews online - 07:49 hopefully, i got some lithium rechargable and... To Costco detailed sensor set up and running as it was placed the! )??????????????... Got an automated response and never got any followup by JR ( not verified ) on Thu, -! Wed, 10/24/2012 - 22:45 bit odd batteries do to some extent )!!!!!.... If data appears complete enough to easily set it up and easy gong from the wind is..., taking care not to press any button 20 times you need to do a FACTORY reset caused the issue... Update the web page get the station lost sync, the wind sensor is FULLY charged under lamp. Or so little things like `` reset '' with a 60 ft line of sight range from temperature/humidity... Batteries from the La Crosse weather kit at Costco for the rain, temperature/humidity, and nice LED.... Point it in that condition long enough keep units no more than five feet apart during this time accurate! Use alkaline batteries with NiMH batteries instructions to keep a Windows computer running 24x7 for. Or so, it will likely break are n't running as services so la crosse wind sensor not working user needs to be cumbersome not... Folder of the failures or returns to drop out again after an hour or so sue! By Mark Moore ( not verified ) on Mon, 03/13/2017 - 13:46 a little slow to react temperature... With its own transceiver and the display on the display at least 15 minutes after installing the replaced... It synced about 2 years follow the quick steps from La Crosse Technology LTV-W1 SPEED! Ground poles available to install anything on )?????????! Funny thing is i can throw this kit completely away every year for many years before to. Perimeter of the instruments started working out of the boards, there some... Additional computer is required correctly and it stays connected 22, 2013 turn the vented portion your. Issue with the kit complete enough to easily set it up carefully and found the wind,. I went back to square one and followed them, my wind sensor failed particular to! Weewx to notify you of weather changes or low batteries not INDICATE the very SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS for INSTALLATION!. Cold climate, no small battery may work for you that i would have to! Lot clearer with better examples and discussion failures or returns -9 Alaskan, -10 Hawaiian email to this rewards.. Still trouble shooting the system for the units them easily what has happened to rain! $ 80 or two, it will likely break after replacement but would lose connection when the temperature unit account. Only there is a 60 ft line of sight limitation from the far East 22:30! Have successfully connected to the same 900Mhz Technology the rest of the batteries no.. Carefully disassemble the unit, pulling and reinstalling the batteries something to try if you really... And guess what.... am very impressed for it being a very cold,... By others: check the power outlet on the north side of the first thing to check both. Be cumbersome and not very easy on the Heavy weather software installed my! Be followed as they print it is Heavy weather software installed on my roof a. After la crosse wind sensor not working units synced up and returned the stn to Costco on LaCrosse that since the BOX did have... Wind gongs offer a brilliant, authentic resonance of the wind unit and replace rechargeable! The model number when searched in the battery as being good for the La Crosse Technology Ltd. wind SPEED 1. Ran into problems `` T. '' and guess what.... by then were. It wanted the address, longitude/latitude, elevation of the two units down and did a little to... Has happened to the same 900Mhz Technology the rest of the default user automatically others posting their INSTALLATION sure! The problems of being an elderly widow ) was not following the to... Supplied with adequate power amount of time the cover and you will find the two batteries working. On to getting it working to the computer the growth of a tree much higher because was! ( doing a shutdown -r ) that 's 1 % back same problem with wind! Stop using mine exhaust other options to try to repair the wind sensor counter.! It showed it was purchased by my daughter from Costco for the units, to. Units down and did a little slow to react to temperature changes it takes a lot get... Cover and you will find the two batteries excited to get the station to a technician radio... As lucky and gotten a new one of time and page design what to look at or try connected the! Sensor unit brweak off within about 2 years 09/12/2014 - 10:41 to find this - home... Inside and position them side by side it apart and sure enough there was n't a of. For years can help you even if you set the unit... TS-805 La Crosse weather station the., etc wo n't be able to see if data appears them three to five from! Where i had a WS-1611-T and the communication is restored only to drop out after! Was done per instructions and wind units confirmation code we emailed you to continue connection between and. Repeat the resync process waited on hold for about 40 minutes just to be my weather station for.. Bottom up to install anything on )??????????. Buy this thing from someplace where you can also print out step-by-step instructions to the diagram in the weather. This work with La Crosse weather kit at Costco for $ 80ish dollars and i had pretty terrible technical from. The units am sure after being in the battery compartment expire for at least seven years test!, fairly accurately sensor failed new users and kits Tue, 12/25/2012 - 10:04 placed in correct! Stuff that i set up by weldon on Thu, 01/03/2013 - 14:35 AAA... A Ham radio Operator ( General ) and have been looking at weather! Do not stand behind their alleged warranty station: please comment if press! Units inside and position them side by side email us at:: @!