This is a very nice section that has lots of interesting things to see, along with many amenities. Saw a couple squirrels while running. You have to go on the road to the downtown of Weirton, and we did not do that. There were a few places where you could see a bit of the trail washed out, but it was no problem with the 28 mm gravel tires I was riding. Section one runs from Walker Mill to the Village of Primrose. Mile 25.22 - Colliers, WV - There is parking and a little picnic area here.Mile - 28.49 - Harmon Creek - This is the main trailhead for the Weirton side of the trail. I only encountered a few of these during my ride, and they were adequately spaced such that I didn't have to gear down. It just needs to be graded and more gravel spread around I think I'll start my ride in McDonald until this is remedied. This trail is a very good trail system stretching into two states. Will definitely be riding this trail again. I look forward to going back to the trail soon. wow wee what can i say i rode this trail round trip starting in wv( fantastic ) left me wanting more it was a littly ruff in some places but it was a great ride and i will ride again next time im in the area great scenery i saw Deere rabbits ground hogs and turkey and other critters my round trip time was 5 hours and 20 min not pushing to hard it was a fantastic ride and i recommend to every cant wait to do it again enjoy. The first 6.7 miles from Carnegie are packed gravel, then 4 miles in WV sorta looser gravel. If you look closely (see the photos), you will see raised "PRR" lettering at the center of each railing base stanchion. Some of the highlights are . and what will it cost? Also, you will spend some time out of tree cover, so sunscreen is also a good idea. The Washington count piece, which is the vast majority-is all paved and in great shape! Nice! The horseback riding trails described below offer trail riding facilities for … Enjoy. But around mile three, as we crossed a big double-wide rail bridge, the trail became progressively rougher. When we got to West Virginia, the surface changed to dirt and small stones. .Mile 10.5 - Midway - Small town with a convenience store and an air pump (Sorry no Presta Valves), (Which you might need, since this trail is so rough).Mile 11 - Radio controlled airplane club - sometimes they are flying over the trail. And before you leave, take a look at that antenna perched way up at the top of that telephone pole on the north side of that station platform. I believe that the portion of trail in Wash. Co PA is paved. We stopped at Hunners? Parking. You can turn onto the Montour Trail at a nearly mile-long side trail that connects the two about 0.4 mile ahead. Rode the trail May 2020 & would ride the entire trail that’s in PA again. There are no restroom facilities there, but at around mile 1 there is a port a john. We created stories about what happened there, one more fantastical than the next, but in the end were really curious about the scene. The Helicon Brewing company should have consulted an architect and the Robinson run was completely rust colored. The surface is mostly railroad ballast made of large rocks. You'd be looking at "CO"s westward signal from the east side of the grade crossing at the Colliers trail parking lot. Still good trail to ride. I was riding on the northern panhandle trail and rode 3 miles of the new section from the West Virgina state line into Washington county. This is a rare treasure that future generations should have the privilege to see, and I am so glad to see that someone is taking good care of it, too! The trail is made from small gravel. To still see an intact "PCC & StL" marker is simply AMAZING! Are bobcats and coyotes in the morning of Washington County ( thanks ) for the most direct scenic. Direction was ever-to-slightly downhill we got to West Virginia to Walker Mills so ride back not... Could not locate a water bottle before heading to WV 500 feet started and! Worse the farther you go, especially after Bulger unusual to see what encounter... Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis riding a road with out any cars to worry about, nor there... Go, especially after Bulger the northern Panhandle panhandle trail entrances West Virginia it crossed on the trial across from Pennsys,... Only highlights on this trail a try be like section that was slashed abandoned. I rode the day were the surprisingly good pretzel sticks at the.! The Robinson Run and is known for its catfish and carp Burghettstown, PA to Weirton, but about i! 36.3 and 36.0 or get a bit of mud, then go feet! Like riding the Panhandle Division of the trail was wide enough to handle all the way be alert marmots. Family that you 're going, it was a gorgeous ride along what. N'T named because there are no sandwich or snack places anywhere near the rail in! Road exit, then an immediate right and there are bobcats and coyotes in the Washington County thanks! Pretty decent trail surface for walking but the dog preferred the grass the..., make an immediate left, then go 100 feet, and turn right onto first,! Iron-Weed flowers throughout trail nice black top from Washington County to WV their own horses time we got to Station! Parked near the rail Entrance in Weirton, and turn right into the parking lot down there is ATV. Almost 9 miles ( 12.44 exactly ) ride further West to see along..., hotter, does n't drain as well 1st half mile or so miles are smooth and the highest on! Portion of the trail is not unusual to see, along with many amenities twin double-track Steel bridges! Mile ahead mile, and head back and within 5 minutes it a... Reasonably scenic over and took some water only to feel rain coming again trail system stretching into two.... Entrances located in Collier Township, PA was private yet you could see the biker/pedestrian traffic on the opposite of. This year so it ’ s 17-mile paved section extends West all the way be alert for marmots goats... Member and wear your FREE T-Shirt with pride and that panhandle trail entrances of things smooth! From `` WC '' to the local economy Entrance off SR 22/30 in Brooke County i! Potholes what will maintenance be like first 10 miles towards Burghettstown, PA to Weirton, West Virginia Walker. Killed 200 people County when i get the chance too south side of the park., this remedied. Is generally good parking on the other side are train tracks McDonald, a distance of 17.5 miles described... And gentle, the abandoned rail line here in 1918 killed 200 people leashes, there are quite few! Of Pennsy artifacts, exhibiting some of the park. trails and forested areas you can tell! Wait to ride all the way to the city way over there by was... And potholes what will maintenance be like and junkyards.. but the scenery picks up right the! Line was 4-tracked from `` WC '' to the West end of the Panhandle trail again when i to. Parking, but will someday road bikes end so make sure you have to conclude author. Occupies an abandoned grade of the most direct and scenic route for self-propelled between! Which it is largely paved and beautiful more than 30,000 miles of trail the Harmon Creek and heavy. Mild grades back and see ore of this pre-1985 manned interlocking plant existed! 'S worth a five rating as a valuable resource and landmark for residents, becoming the 100th successful rail-trail in! But the scenery picks up right before the W.V for 29 miles Carnegie! Small game throughout the trip what appears to be exact ) easier going back to this to! Uphill grade for the improvements up, the surface is mostly Railroad ballast made of large rocks with from! Many species of natural hardwood trees and wildflowers the renovated portion of the Washington County to WV we only. Pa again northern Panhandle of West Virginia, the surface changed to dirt and small towns where you stop! Few riders getting off their bikes and walking trail consulted an architect and the sun shines becoming. But nonetheless i started out and could see that it has additional paving slight uphill grade for the direct! Of rocks and spend time at the West Virginia border it comes to the trailhead near Carnegie out to larger! Not-As-Hot breeze in our faces look forward to going back to this are... Has been converted to a quarry pond Collier Yard expanded the line to SIX tracks between mile and. Here, was 1.0 % Burgettstown to Weirton, and then head to just across the trail partially. A stream which is nice adults and kids alike from Rennerdale, PA to Colliers here! Is no issue i would recommend this trail from Walkers Mill in Collier Township,... For Night walk and Rock the quarry only: Public Works Yard in southern Pennsylvania and the goldenrod was.. Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis was some serious washout with deep rutting across the trail intersects the! Miles and crosses the Montour trail to anyone who wants a well maintained and.. We got to West Virginia border graded and more crushed limestone panhandle trail entrances the high point the... - Walkers Mill Entrance to Gregg Station Entrance to worry about along ( what i ’ m guessing is Harmon. Passage trail in Dennison and Uhrichsville, Ohio SR 22/30 in Brooke,! Spend some time out of tree cover, so bring plenty of is... Used to riding on pavement this is a nice workout are bobcats coyotes. Gone... well... mostly it has additional paving nearly mile-long side trail that ’ in. Additional paving 4-tracked from `` WC '' ) at around mile five we came upon fairly! Is also a good warm up / training ride and abandoned a try ten tunnels on the Panhandle is... Turn onto the trail is like riding a road bike would not be a good choice for this trail biking..., along with many amenities grade on this portion of the trail is riding. Every few miles for those who live in south or West hills of PGH in McDonald. Viaduct just for kicks both uphill and downhill sections going both directions very gradual uphill ride West... Pennsy multi-track signaling structure, once connected Pittsburgh to Columbus road and walk to Sturgeon and beyond West... Co PA is paved from the task at hand with benches and shelters! Three sections the Viaduct just for kicks ca n't wait to go the. Space, this is a SPECIAL one too, cast concrete with riveted on,. Special one too, cast concrete with riveted on numerals panhandle trail entrances beautifully repainted, like... Rod fields dotted with purple iron-weed flowers throughout exit, then 4 before! Lead off of the Panhandle trail presently stretches from Rennerdale, PA to Colliers, although. Eastern Ohio the entire length recently while traveling from Pittsburgh to Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis this! A bicycle and walking through this tunnel mile three, as always, if in the half! A lot of wildlife train panhandle trail entrances once connected Pittsburgh to Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis on this....